Child support is meant to ensure that the needs of children are met with regard to housing, food, medical care, education and other essential expenses. In many situations, child support is court ordered as part of a divorce, while in other cases it is ordered to provide for children of unmarried parents.
If you pay or receive child support, or if you are unsure about what your financial rights and responsibilities are, you may have important questions that require prompt, correct answers. As a family law attorney with more than 30 years of experience, I can answer your questions, and I can assist you in seeking child support arrangements that are fair to you and your children. I represent parents in all kinds of divorce cases, and I represent unmarried mothers and fathers.
How Will Child Support Be Determined?
Unless arrangements are made outside of court, a court will use a guideline formula to determine whether child support will be paid, and if, so, what the payment amount will be. This formula takes into account both parents' incomes, custody arrangements and other factors. I can use this formula to inform you in advance of a hearing what your guideline amount is.
As a lawyer with extensive knowledge of California divorce law and child support law, I have represented clients in all types of child support matters, including:
- Promoting and pursuing an uncontested case with a comprehensive child support settlement agreement as part of a marital settlement agreement (MSA) or a stipulation for judgment
- Working to preserve and protect child support rights in a contested case which goes to trial. (Since these contests can be expensive and destructive, I encourage and facilitate settlement whenever possible.)
- Modification of child support orders when circumstances warrant it
- Actions involving the San Diego County Department of Child Support Services (SDCDCSS), which acts to seek and enforce child support obligations
- Cases involving grandparents pursuing child custody and visitation of their minor grandchildren, as well as child support
Contact A San Diego And La Mesa Child Support Rights Attorney
Contact me for a free consultation with a San Diego child support attorney. I can answer your questions and explain what your options are for resolving your child support issue. Once I fully understand your circumstances, I can also explain my fees so you can make an informed decision about how to proceed.